How should I defend myself in court against a social host violation?

I hosted a party with underaged drinking, and the cops showed up and busted it. Now I am being charged with a social host violation and have an upcoming court date. However, I did not supply any of the alcohol; none of the alcohol came from my house (it was brought in by other people, I am under 21 as well); and I did not intend the party to get out of hand (there were only supposed to be 10 people there). I am wondering what I should say in court/how I should approach this case?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you are charged with providing alcohol to under age people (below 21 years of age) since the event was at your house, you have a serious issue to contend with in that if convicted of this misdemeanor, you could be sentenced for up to six months in the county jail and/or fined up to $1,000.

The best way to defend this matter is to retain a criminal defense attorney. If you are not a licensed attorney experienced in criminal defense, you are truly at a disadvantage with respect to the criminal proceeding against you.

One way to defend the charge is to get a copy of the police report over the incident, carefully read it and make notes as to any inconsistencies by the arresting officer to discredit him or her at trial.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.