How long do I have to wait before I return to the US and drive after my DUI misdemeanour charge?

I got the DUI 2 years ago. I was fined by a US judge and paid this with no problems. I am a UK resident and havent been back to the US since the incident. Will I have to do any course when I return? If so, how long do I have to wait to avoid the course.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Having a DUI does not make admission to the US impossible per se.  The issue could  come up for any one applying for a visa.  WHat you need to do is to get copies of all the paperwork that shows you complied with the sentencing and all is done with.  You may need to show this to the US Consulate or Customs at port of entry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.