How do you revoke voluntarily acknowledgement of paternity after DNA testing proves someone is not the father?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the acknowledgment of paternity has been filed in a court proceeding then the way to have it eliminated per a court order is to file a petition with the court in the specific case where the acknowledgment is listed seeking a declaration from the court that the particular person is not the father of the child.

There will need to be evidence presented in support of the petition that DNA testing does not demonstrate that the particular male is the father. To do the petition it is best to consult with a family law attorney given the complexity of such a proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.