How do you force a hostile trustee to provide a complete accounting?

Fully 4 out of 6 (1 being the trustee) have been ignored for 2 years; no funds have been distributed. How can he be replaced? The trust was made by a resident of one state and the trustee is a full-time resident of another state.

Asked on February 1, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Obtain yourself probate litigation counsel to assist you in filing a petition into the probate court of the location of the death of the person, where the trust is located,  to have the trustee removed for lack of execution of the trust terms, and to have yourself substituted in as trustee or to have a financial fiduciary appointed to implement the terms of the trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.