How do I sign my parental rights over?

Is it something I can do on my own?How much does this usually cost?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The typical way to "sign over" one's parental rights is to consult with a family law attorney with respect to an adoption process. Note, you simply are not allowed to give up your parental rights to a minor child under the laws of all states in this country if there is no person willing to take on the legal obligations as being the new parent in exchange for the parental rights you wish to give up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.