How doI put my ex-girlfriend out of my home?

My kid’s mother and I broke up. I am a homeowner and I want her out of my home. She is destroying it but she refuses to leave.

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the mother of your child is not a tenant of yours and has no ownership in the home you are in, simply request that she leave. If she is a tenant, give her a thirty day eviction notice based upon the fact that she is destroying the home. Take photographs of the damages.

If she does not leave after the thirty day period, consult with a landlord tenant attorney and have her served with an unlawful detainer action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.