How do I protest being fired for positive drug screen if I feel that the tester acted incompentently?

I was terminated from my job after anonymous person said I might be doing drugs. I willingly gave my sample explaining that only my prescribed meds should show up. That is all that did show, when it was sent to the lab for verification the call I received said thc was present. To protest, I would have to have the same sample retested. I do not believe the person taking my sample followed the correct steps to ensure a proper test had been administered. My company gave me the option to undergo rehab at my own expense, which I did, the tester at the facility said my test was clean.

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to protest the termination of you from your place of work is to retain an attorney who practices in the area employment law to represent you and go through the necessary protocol for a re-test as well as provide your former employer with medical documentation from your treating physician showing that you were prescribed the presumed illegal substances that showed up in your system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.