How do I go about getting my ex-boss to pay me the money she owes me?

I worked a 40 hour work week as a private nanny for this family. We verbally agreed she would pay me $8/hr while I trained the first week. She only paid me $150 out of the $320. I then worked a 10 hour work week the next week and we verbally agreed that I would be paid $9 an hour. She wrote me and check for $72. I cashed it and that check was bad. So not only did she short me the money but the bank took the $72 out of my account and charged me a $12 fee. I really need advice on how to handle this situation. She owes me $272 and I need to collect my money. I have tried contacting her several times and she wont respond.

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that a verbal (or more properly, oral) agreement to be paid for work is enforceable, so if you have not been paid what you should have been paid under the agreement, you may sue for the money owed you--and for additional costs or losses, like the bad check fee.

The bad news is there is not way to get the money but to sue--nobody will get the money for you but you.

Fortunately, though, you have the option of suing in small claims, where you can represent yourself (to save on lawyer fees) and where the rules are somewhat more informal. Contract your local court for information and forms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.