How doI go about dropping charges and ifI can’t what shouldI do?

About a month ago, I pressed charges on my boyfriend. He was arrested yesterday and I want to get him out of this without jail time. He never hit me. We got into an argument and that lead to him grabbing my wrist. When I slapped him, he put me on couch and sat on me causing my arm to be scraped by the couch. My father took that as abuse and told me that if I did not call police and make a report that I would lose all contact with my family. So I did it. I was scared to lose my family. Now, my boyfriend and I are going to be parents. I’m 4 months pregnant with his child.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Speak to the prosecutor's office. Explain the situation to them. You can't force them to drop charges--once charges are filed, matters are  no longer under the "victim's" control--but they may respect your wishes. Even if the don't drop the charges entirely, they may be willing got recommend a deal for him that will not involve jail time--for example, he may be put on probation and required to attend anger management classes or the like. The best thing to do is to be open about the situation with the authorities. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.