How do I get something off my daughter’s record that happened when she was just a minor?

My daughter at the age of 17 was involved with the wrong people, who were into warehouse thefts. My daughter being young, allowed these people to put merchandise in her car; she did not really know them but thought they were nice. GBI were watching, and had a sting operation in action. For every piece of stolen goods she allowed in her car, they charged her for that count of burglary. 9 counts of felony burglary, her attorney which I paid good money to protect her, swayed her not to take 1st offender. She had never been in trouble before and not since that time but it is on her record.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter was convicted of a crime when she was a minor, most likely her juvenile records are sealed and cannot be opened absent a court order. If you want to possibly have the conviction removed (expunged), you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney about the possibility of such a proceeding.

An expungement proceeding is somewhat complicated and many factors are needed for the grant of the motion including the passage of time and good behavior of the person who was convicted of a crime.

If one's conviction is expunged, then for all intents and purposes the conviction for the crime no longer exists.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.