How do I get my money?

I worked for a construction company. The owner paid me a check with no money in the bank. It’s been a month and he will not answer my calls.

Asked on April 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you were an employee, then you can file a wage complaint with your state's department of labor. If you weren't an employee (or even of you were), you can file suit to recover any money due you in small claims court. Just be sure to have all documentation (contracts, emails, etc.) to submit as proof of your claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.