How do i get my 19 yr old a public defender.

He is in jail charges are robbery and
criminal conspiracy. He didnt have
representation at the time they set his
bail. His bail is 75,000 . We wanted to
get a bail reduction hearing

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If he's 19 and not mentally incompetent, *you* don't get him a public defender: he needs to apply for his own court appointed attorney, since he is legally an adult. He needs to ask the court for one, which he can do in writing and/or at this next appearance: they will then take his application and see if he meets the income and other criteria for a state-provided lawyer. If he does not, he will have to hire his own attorney (you of course can pay or help pay for it).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.