How do I get an order to open a safe deposit box?

I hold the key but am not a relative, I lived with the deceased for 5 years and was his girlfriend. I was not an agent on the box.

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not admitted in Texas but it is my understanding that in order to open it a court order will be required.  Usually this is done in an estate proceeding as requested by the executor or administrator, especially if only the decedent's name is on the box.  The contents are usually opened in front of a Judge. If you shared the box and some of the content are yours then get a lawyer. The presumption may be otherwise.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.