How do I get a conviction expunged from my federal record?

I was convicted of simple possession of a controlled substance 26 years ago and I haven’t had any repeat offenses since then. . It keeps coming up on my federal background check. I need it off my record and I can’t even get a copy of the records because when I searched the county I got the ticket in, it says there are no records found. So how do I go about getting it off of my record?

Asked on March 17, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you probably can't get this off of your record. Few federal convictions can be expunged. Such a conviction expunged can only be if: the conviction is based on a law that is later held to be unconstitutional; a judge finds that the conviction resulted from government misconduct; or you were convicted of certain drug possession offenses when you were under the age of 21 and have no prior drug offenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.