How do I evict an elderly relative from my home?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your relative is not a tenant, then you can simply ask him or her to leave.  If this person is not competent, you may need to involve adult social services.  If this is not the route you wish to go, then you should start legal eviction proceedings as in a landlord tenant situation, though this is probably not advisable if the situation is not a true tenancy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.