how can you make a detective hand over a homicide report after a motion to compel was filed and granted

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor


Does the motion to compel concern itself with the homicide report?  If so, when your attorney (or you) serves the court's order upon the police department, it should comply by providing the materials described in the court's order granting the motion.  Such a report could also be subpoenaed, if it is indeed discoverable. However, you typically cannot subject such documents to compulsory production (subpoena) if they are not first determined to be discoverable.

I apologize, second paragraph removed.  It does not apply to your question.

I offer this information in an effort to allow you to better understand some general legal principals that may apply to your fact scenario.  This is not intended to substitute for a detailed consultation with an attorney admitted to practice before the bar of your state.  Laws differ from state to state.  Thus, the information above does not constitute legal advice.  Further, ethical rules prohibit an attorney such as myself from "practicing" law in any state but the state in which I am admitted.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.