How can I prevent my wife from entering my house and taking what she believes is hers?

we are seperated and she wants to get what is hers, but I don’t agree that some of what she wants is hers. I want to know what I need to file to stop her from getting the items for now until eventually we go through the divorce.

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you should do is inform your attorney who is handling this matter of the possible issues surrounding the items being taken. Your wife may be entitled to them but without the final divorce decree she is not allowed to remove them from the home

Being as you are seperated and I assume in the process of getting a divorce you really should have your attorney handle these matters to ensure that its done correctly.

If you do not have an attorney you can attempt to file a restraining order if she has been ruled not allowed in the home upon the separation if not than you may want to hire an attorney to get the ball rolling and soon alleviate the problems all together

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.