How can I legally evict my son from my home with no formal lease signed?

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since your son has no formal lease signed and assuming he is an adult, then he is on a month-to-month lease with you under the laws of all states in this country.

In order to evict him you need to serve him with a thirty (30) day notice of the cancellation of his lease. If he refuses to move out in the thirty (30) day time period you will need to file an eviction lawsuit against him. If matters come to that state, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney for help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.