If I quit my job over 2 weeks ago, what can I do if my boss is still holding my final paycheck?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit my job over 2 weeks ago, what can I do if my boss is still holding my final paycheck?

I worked for the agency for 2 years, then itmerged with another agency and I decided to leave. I gave my letter of resignation and 2 weeks notice as required. When I inquire as to where my check is at, the agency continues to give me excuses and promises as to when they will “cut me a check and mail it”.

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In your state, if an employee resigns or quits (as opposed to being terminated or laid off), the final paycheck is due whenever the next regularly scheduled payroll would have been paid (i.e. when you would have been paid had you still been employed). Your employer must pay you your last paycheck--there are no grounds for withholding it. If they do not pay, you could sue, including possibly suing in small claims court, where you could act as your own lawyer (no legal fees) and where cases move more quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption