How can I get a former employer to stop bashing my personality?

I was fired 2 weeks ago for not fitting in with the staff. I had worked there for 1 year. I asked the office manager for a letter of recommendation. She informed me that the doctor would write one and they would mail it within a couple days. I never received the letter but assumed they would give a positive review. I have just been informed they are bashing my personality, however my job performance was fine. How can I get her to only answer job performance questions and nothing else. I have had 2 job offers that were retracted after speaking with her.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If they are making untrue factual statements about you--e.g. you are  manic-depressive when you are not; you are a kleptomaniac, when you are not; you said or did something you did not say or do--then they may be committing defamation and you may be able to sue them for damages and/or make them stop. But if they are merely expressing opinions, no matter how negative--e.g.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.