How can I find out if any civil actions are against me?

And, if there is any property, businesses or other interests that have been assigned to me?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Business Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The typical manner for a person to ascertain if a lawsuit has been filed against him or her where service personally has not yet been made is to look up online one's name with the court in the county where the suspected lawsuit is filed or personally go down to the court clerk's office and run your name on the register of actions to see what pops up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.