how can i find out about my status pertaing to reentering n.y. i was still under probation for a criminal dwi in suffolk county n.y. i miss ny

who do i contact? i now live in costa rica. i will soon have all my papers from c.r. i have been here for 5yrs. please help me

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

At this point there is most probably a bench warrant that has been issued for your arrest.  And warrants do not expire.  You need to hire a NY criminal attorney, preferably one in Suffolk County.  He will have contacts in the court system there and will be able to arrange for the most beneficial deal. 

Breaking probation is a serious offense but if you try to handle this now it will go better for you. You don't want to come back and get picked up for this.  In fact, I wouldn't even try to enter the country without speaking to your attorney first.

Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.