How can I find if my spouse is is working in Canada to get alimony

I am an Amerian woman living in GAI married a Canadian man living in Quebecwe are now seperatedhe’s back in Canadahe says he doen’t workhow can I find out for sureother than hiring a detective ?Is there a government agency that can obtain this infirmation … if I call in Canada ?or something like that ?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Family Law, Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

as an attorney from the US it is difficult to answer as to how to obtain information from a person in Canada. What I would suggest trying to do is finding out where your husband resides and contacting an attorney who works in that area.

I am sure they have similar laws to those that we have and the attorney can make a motion that requests your husbands financial records if he is in fact hiding income. You can request to re argue the settlement amount if he is working and it was done as if her weren't. But not being an attorney trained in Canada all this is an assumption and short of a PI as you suggested you will have to contact a Canadian lawyer who can inform you of the procedures in that area

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.