How can I dispute a parenting plan that was put into place 2 years ago?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Montana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If something has changed which has made the current parenting plan unworkable or no longer in the interest of the child, then you can file a motion with the original court to modify the parenting plan.  Before you do so, make sure that you have an argument ready to justify the change.  The courts don't like multiple changes to a plan "just because."  If the children have changed, or if the needs of the children have changed, then your argument needs to reflect how a modication will address the changes in the needs or welfare of the child(ren).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.