hostile work enviroment

I am in Law Enforcement. I have a boss that creates a high stress enviroment. he is rude, disrespectful and in generally mean to people. I dread going to work because of the way he treats people. He has yelled at people in the presence of others, he constantly threatens with discipline, he rules out of fear and itimidation. How can I handle this?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing you need to do i report this to the most superior officer of the conduct of this person.  I suggest putting it in writing.  Short of someone taking action, there is nothing really you can do here and it is unformtunate.  You can take legal action by suing your boss for negligent infliction of emotional stress and so forth, but it is not going to make you rich and will only create more enemies, especially is you want to continue in the law enforecement career as this will follow you around.  I am sorry there is not a lot to offer you here, but you may want to think about relocating/transferring unless an upper level officer is going to discipline this person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.