If I just renewed my H1B visa for another 3 years, can I enter a residency program, knowing that my visa will expire before I finish my residency?

Asked on November 29, 2013 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The H-1B visa is the third step in securing U.S. permanent residency through employment [first step: enter as an F1 student; second step: graduate and utilize third step: gain H-1B status; fourth step: employer sponsors you (and dependents) for PR status].

Based upon what you have written, you can enter into a residency program even after you have renewed your H1B visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.