If I’m an international working in the US on work visa and my current employment contract ends today so my employer is preparing the new contract, will I be in trouble?

I teach at a college and it is common for us to sign the new contract for that academic year in September, although the work started in August. My visa is valid for another 6 months.

Asked on August 14, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The visa is not really the document that authorizes your lawful presence in the US the I-94 does that.  As long as your I-94 is still valid, you are ok to remain in the US while your employer files for the extension of your work visa based on your new employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.