How to become an executor on a property?

Last year my father in-law past away suddenly without a Will. Now my mother in-law is trying to sell the property to my wife and I. How does my mother in-law become executor on the property?

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Did your in-laws own the home as a married couple with "rights of survivorship?"  That would mean that the house passed to her automatically at the time of your father in law's death and that it would not be necessary to probate his estate to transfer the home to you.  She should be able to transfer the property outright.  It is really best to speak with an attorney in your area when you are dealing with the transfer of real property.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.