What to do if my fiancé and I purchased a cat and who had an eye infection when we got him?

Long story short, we contacted the seller the day after we got the cat about the discharge from his eyes. She emailed us back saying its normal when cats are under stress ( which is not true). She told us the cat was fine and to not take him to a vet. However, on the third day we took him to the vet and found out it is infected with conjunctivitis. Then we let her know about the results and she was upset with us for taking our new cat to a vet. She said, “You are stressing him out more” and “You are having people poke him in the eyes for no reason”. We then found out one of the vaccinations is she claimed to have given the cat was fake.

Asked on January 15, 2013 under General Practice, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about I would write the seller of the animal a letter with a copy of the bill you paid for the treatment of the feline's eye asking that such be paid by a certian date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If the due date for payment comes and goes without payment, your legal recourse seems to be small claims court for payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.