If I have a friend residing in Croatia and would like for her to visit me in the US, what forms should be completed?

Will she stand a better chance of receiving a US visa if she has a sponsor (she does have a passport).

Asked on February 17, 2013 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

She just needs to apply for a visa with the US Embassy in Croatia and provide documentation that she does not have immigrant intent but has strong, signficant ties to Croatia that will ensure her return to that country after a brief visit to the US.  A sponsorship can be provided by affidavit of support but that does not guarantee the issuance of a visa if she is not able to show strong ties to Croatia on her own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.