What to do if I had a lawn business and hired a guy though a temp agency who hit a car with some rocks which we got it fixed but now that the owner of the car says it’s not done right?

We never any paperwork; no insurance involved.

Asked on July 11, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are liable for the actions of your employees, including temp employees. If an employee damaged someone's car, you are liable to either pay the cost of the repairs or, if the car's owner agrees, to have it repaired; if you you have it repaired, it must be to a professional standard. If it was not repaired to a professional standard, then you would be liable for the cost of having the repairs redone.

If you disagree and feel the repair was done correctly and to a professional standard, you could refuse to pay more. The car's owner could then try to sue you if he wanted; to win, he'd have to prove in court that the repairs were not adequate. If he could do that, he would get a judgment in his favor for the cost to redo the repairs. You in turn could provide evidence that the repairs were sufficient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.