If I’m getting married in a year, how can we protect ourselves from his child’s mother trying to get more child support now with our 2 incomes?

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is trus that a parent's "circumstances" may change because a third party's income is contributed to the parent's basic living expenses, in turn increasing the parent's "net disposable income" available to pay child support., But except in a specified "extraordinary case" that would otherwise result in "extreme and severe hardship" to the child, courts cannot consider the income of either parent's "subsequent spouse" or "nonmarital partner" when "determining or modifying child support." [Ca Fam § 4057.5] Thus, a motion to modify child support based solely on the fact income from a parent's new spouse or nonmarital partner has increased the parent's ability to pay must be denied absent the requisite showing of extreme and severe hardship to the child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.