If I got married and moved into my wife’s house but paid half of the mortgage and taxes, am I

entitled to any equity?

Asked on May 28, 2016 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Typically, any property brought into a marriage that was a spouse's seperate property, remains that spouse's property. However, sometimes the asset can become marital property, depending on the circumstances; this is known as "transmutation". At the very least, you are probably entitled to a portion of the equity that accumulated during marriage since you contributed to the value of the home by making mortgage and tax payments. At this point, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.