Does the company where I work have the right to fire me because of a client complaint?

A client has send a complaint letter to HR regarding me threatening him during a conversation. HR based on the letter and the cameras at the workplace fired me. I was tyring to tell to the client (we knew each other) about a problem of the system that had happened a month ago and because of the problem he had to pay twice this month. He began threatening me using an improper word. I got nervous at first, then I tried to calm him down. We got outside of the building to talk but he kept yelling at me and so I yelled back.

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You company could fire you for this reason, any reason or even no reason at all, with or without notice. It's called at will employment. Unless your dismissal under the circumstances was prohibited by a union agreement, employment contract, existing company policy or was the result of some form of actionable discrimination, your termination was lawful. The fact is that an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment. This includes under what circumstances an employee may be discharged.

If you are still unsure of your rights, then you should consult directly with an employment law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.