Does my husband have to sign for me to sell a house that I purchased before I married him?

I purchased a home from my father in 2001 and I married in 2007. Now, I am selling the house. The title company is asking for information on my current husband and are requesting his signature to close the sell of the house. I know Texas is a community property state but I purchased this house in cash six years before I married.

Asked on April 14, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The title company can ask for your husband's information, but your husband's signature is not required to sell the property because it is separate property, not community property.  In fact, if you add him to the documents, he could later make the argument that you 'gifted' part of your interest in the house or house proceeds to him.  This means that if you and him should later divorce, he could ask the court to award him a portion of the proceeds of the sale of this house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.