If my employer has multiple business entities and has us do work for some of them while only employed and paid for

one, does he owe me pay for those other businesses?

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to be paid for all hours worked (if an hourly employee)--including overtime, when you work more than 40 hours in a workweek--or your full salary (if salaried): that is your right, but it is also your only right. That is, as long as you are paid for all hours worked or your full salary, it does not matter how many different entities owned by the same person or business you work for, and there is no extra pay for working for more than one entity. It also does not matter which entity issues you the paycheck.
That said,you MUST be paid for all hours worked. To use an example, say there are three entities, A, B, and C, and you work 15 hours for A, 15 for B, and 10 for C. If you are paid for 40 hours, that is correct and legal. On the other hand, if you are only paid for the 15 hours you work for A, that is illlegal, a violation of the wage and hour laws, and you could sue for the unpaid wages and/or file a wage-and-hour complaint with the department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.