Do I need to file additional papers or take any actions after my ex-wife remarries?

My ex-wife will re-marry next month. I plan on paying her sposal support for that month. Our settlement stated I’d pay until she remarried or one of us died.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Alimony normally ends upon death or remarriage. You have to go back to the same court granting divorce to file a motion to have it terminated once your ex gets remarried.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.