Do I have legal recourse to stop bullying by my ex-wife in New York state?

My ex-wife continues to send me texts and e-mails attacking me personally, such as my manhood, my mental health, my handling of the children, my weight, how I treated her during the marriage, and my fiance. Do I have any legal recourse to stop this bullying?

Asked on March 29, 2018 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

So it sounds like your ex is establishing her own case against her for harassment.  If the threats put you in imminent danger and harms way, call the police and file a criminal order of protection.  But if they do not rise to that level then you can file a Family Offense Petition asking for limited contact, iee, textx only about issues dealing with th childen and nothing else.  You need to keep copies of all the texts and emails. It could impact on her custody rights as well.  Ask your lawyer about the standard as compared to what she has been doing.  You need specifics.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.