If my spouse is self employed, does he still have to pay child support?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my spouse is self employed, does he still have to pay child support?

He is self employed and I have 2 kids by him. He says that ‘he wont have to pay me child support.

Asked on March 28, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Legally, he has to pay child support: whether he is self-employed or not has nothing to do with his obligations to his children.
But there is a practical problem. When someone fails to pay child support, the usual remedy is to have his employer garnish his wages. (That is, send you a part of each paycheck.) But he is his own employer. He keeps the records about earnings; he is the one who would have to take some of his own earnings each week and send them to you. It is difficult to make a self-employed person fairly report and garnish his own wages. Not impossible, but certainly more difficult: if he refuses to pay, you can expect delays, difficulties, and costs (e.g. if you hire a lawyer to help you) to enforce your rights and get your children's money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption