Do I have legal grounds to get more money for a year from my ex-husband?

In our divorce agreement, my husband was to pay our $700 mortgage in lieu of child support. I was then to refinance to get his name off the house or sell. Because he was late on 6 or more payments I cannot refinance for a year. If I modify the payments so I can afford them, the loan still looks late. This forces me to sell, or go through a different mortgage company, which will be very costly with all the various costs.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are able to get more money from your former husband as a result of your marital dissolution agreement because he could not honor the order to make the mortgage payments on the monthly amount of your home depends upon what the order states. As such, you need to carefully read it.

After you read it and if you still have questions as to it or want to increase the $700 per month amount, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney regarding it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.