do I have any legal rights if I have lived on a family owned property for over 39yrs and have taken care of the 1 acre that I have my own mobile home on and also take care of the other house / property and there are two separate tax bills and I am a heir4

I have lived and paid rent for only the trailer lot of 1 acre for 36yrs and have
taken care of my acre plus the other property. 4.3 acres. Me and my 4 sisters
are heirs of the property. I do not want to move, taxes are based on my income
for 1 acre and are reduced due to my income and disability…do I have any rights
to stay here buy my acre or can they evict me?

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Estate Planning, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your question does not make entirely clear who is currently the owners of the land. If it is you and your 4 sisters, so that you are one of the owners, they cannot force you to move: any owner of property has the right to use, possess, occupy, etc. it. Owners 1- 4 cannot evict owner 5. What they could do, as a majority of the ownership, is sell the property entirely; if they sell it, you will get your share of the proceeds (e.g. 1/5th,if you are one of five owners), but the new owner(s) will be able to remove you.
You cannot force them to sell you, since again, they represent a majority of the ownership; they have more power than you do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.