Do I have a right to know the results of a pre-employment background check?

I have had two recent offers of employment as a public school counselor in Arizona rescinded after a background check. I have no criminal record and I have good credit. However I did unsuccessfully sue a former employer for employment discrimination. Although both potential employers mentioned my background check as the reason for rescinding the job offer, neither would tell me why. One HR manager sent me an e-mail stating,

Asked on July 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A pre-employment background check is paid for by a prospective employer. Accordingly, it is their property. If you want a copy you will need to pay for your own copy. Under the circumstances, it would be advisable.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You do not have any general right to the results of your pre-employment background check; that check was paid for by, and the results belong to, your prospective employer(s). You can however (and it is often a good idea to) contact one of the agencies which do employment background checks and have them run a check on you--that way, you will see what comes up during such a check.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.