How longdoI haveto respond to a QDRO?

This morning my ex-wife’s attorney just sent me a “Qualified Domestic Relations Order”. I have been told to sign this and have it notarized and returned to her today. But I can’t get it done today. The attorney said that if I don’t get it done, then she will file a “Motion for Entry” and set a hearing. That seems extreme. Shouldn’t I have some time (legally) to read, have my attorney look at it, and then respond (like 10 business days or something)?

Asked on December 3, 2010 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes indeed it sounds a bit extreme.  And it sounds like your wife's attorney is threatening you.  So I would call your attorney today and make an appointment to go in and speak with him or her as to the QDRO and ask your attorney to call and speak with your wife's attorney today regarding the matter.  Tell your attorney exactly what she said and let your attorney deal with it.  If it is not back to her by today then the earliest that the Motion she is threatening with can be made is Monday then noticed for a date in the future ad by then it will all be moot.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.