Can I post a notice of abandonment and if tenant calls to say she is returning, even if only to get her things, can I still take possession?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I post a notice of abandonment and if tenant calls to say she is returning, even if only to get her things, can I still take possession?

My tenant called on due date to say rent would be late as her car broke down out of state. She did not say when she would return. She has since not returned my calls for over a week. Her daughter has been coming daily to care for her cat. The daughter told a neighbor that the tenant took a job out of state and would be returning as soon as she was able to get her possessions left behind. Rent is now 10 days overdue.

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your tenant's rent is now 10 days overdue, I would serve her either with a 30 day termination notice of her lease or a 3 day notice to pay or quit if you actually want her to remain as a tenant and then see what happens. If you get no repsonse, then depending upon the document served, you seemingly would have to file an unlawful detainer action.

I see no basis for a notice of abandonment to be placed on the unit since the tenant's possessions remain from what you have written.

I recommend that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney regarding how you wish to deal with the current situation based upon the suggestions stated above.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption