Divorce, I was stay hm mom. Judge gave me 60,000 debt of my X. I have sm amount of $$. I cannot afford to give that away. Options?

What are my options as far as paying x husbands debt that was assigned to me. Debt is under his name? I received a small amount of money (30,000) I need that to live on. What are my options? I was told that b/c his name the debt is in, it is his responsibability even tho I was ct ordered to pay it May 1st?Advise? He has not taken care of his order from the Judge to pay my sons truck off which is worth $6,000. He was told to sell the boat and pay his debt, which he is not and has renteed a slip and is driving the boat all summer? Do I need to pay that debt or does he have to take me back

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Family Law, Minnesota


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you're divorced, there's no set of facts that I can imagine that would make a court order him to take you back.  But it sounds like you need a lawyer's help getting this all sorted out.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Your lawyer will need to see a copy of the divorce decree, of course, and any other evidence you have about what's gone on since it was entered.  Without that information, there's no way for anyone to give you reliable advice.  Please don't put this off!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.