Could I sue for workplace harrassment?

An assistant manager picked on me about not having any teeth at my age and said that he’s been having sexual intercourse with my mother. He called me names and really made me feel uncomfortable in my own workplace. This led me to getting fired because I never wanted to go to work.

Asked on August 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes allowing the rude and unprofessional behavior that you were unfortunately subjected to. That is unless your treatment was due to your race, religion, disability, nationality, age (over 40), gender, etc.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Generally, an assistant manager can pick on or harass you and say frankly crude, disgusting, etc. things to you. The only time they cannot would be if they are doing so because:
1) Of your race, color, or national origin;
2) Because you are 40 or over;
3) Because of your sex;
4) Because of your religion;
5) Because you are disabled.
If this person is doing/saying this because of one of these factors, you may have an employment discrimination or harassment claim and should contact the federal EEOC to file a complaint. Otherwise, however, it would be legal for them to do this, and you would have no recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.