How to collect back alimony from my ex who lives in another state?

My ex lives in a different state than the decree state. I have judgement but the attorney fees are huge and I have no money (very little home equity left). How do I get help collecting?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a court order in a particular state requiring alimony payments by your former spouse to you and he or she has not been in compliance with the payment, you need to file a petition for an order to show cause regarding contempt for the failure in the court where the order was issued.

You then serve the former spouse with the petition and the hearing will be in the county and state where the order was issued. The court will then make a decision for a contempt charge which most likely will force your former spouse to begin compliance with payment.

There are forms online, you can go to your county law library for such forms for the suggested petition, or your county may have a legal aid program to asist you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.