Changing the locks on my home

Can I change the locks on my home since my husband left us over a month ago and has not been back but I have not yet filed for divorce because finacially I can not afford to.

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I am not admitted in Massachusetts, I would safely guess that you can not change the locks without some kind of court order.  If you can not afford to hire an attorney you may qualify for legal aid.  Look up the Legal Aid office in the County in which you live and make an appointment to go and speak with them.  You can also call you local Bar Association and see if they have any Pro Bono(free) programs.  If nothing else you can probably get a free consultation, give the attorney all the information and get some advice as to what to do from an attorney who knows the laws in your area.  This way when you can file for divorce you know where you stand. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.