Can you change your last name to something new when you get married?

My fiance and I both dislike our last names, is it possible to change them both to something new when we get married or do we have to go through the name change process?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutry, when one spouse marries the other either one can take the existing "surname" of the other as stated in the marriage certificate that is then signed by the person officiating the ceremony, sealed and filed with the county's department of vital statistics where the ceremony was performed.

If the desired new name is completely different than the "surname" then existing, the couple has to file a petition with the superior court of the county where they reside and go through the name change process that way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.