UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My sister and her husband live in Grand
Rapids MI. They have been married since
2000. He is a doctor and controls all
the money. When they fight, he threatens
to throw her out of the house. She can’t
remember, but she thinks her name is on
the deed. He has the deed locked in his
safe deposit box. Can he throw her out?
Also our mother recently died. She has a
checking account in her name for which
he gives her money to write checks for
their children’s education, music, etc.
Should she start a separate account for
only inheritance money?

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If they are both on the deed, he may not throw her out: no owner can exclude a co-owner from property jointly owned.
2) Even if not on the deed, she cannot be thrown out of the marital home by her spouse: a spouse cannot lock out his/her spouse from the home they shared together, regardless of who owns or leases it. Who must leave the home and who can stay in it must be decided in family court, in the context of a divorce proceeding.
So if your sister's husband throws her out, he will be acting illegally and she could go to court for a court order letting her back in.
3) Yes, there should be a separate account for money inherited which he has no access to, since her inheritance is NOT joint or marital property: it is hers alone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption